So, just to get you caught up — I have never gardened successfully or even kept a plant alive longer than a couple of months. I am putting in the effort, talking to experts, and getting my butt in the yard to get dirty and grow things!
Gardening projects in the works, started and soon to begin:
- Sweet Corn
- Leafy Greens (Spinach, Kale, Arugula)
- Peach Trees
- Wild Flowers (pollinators)
- Ivy Cuttings for Replanting
- Bean Sprouts
To see what I have done so far, visit my original progressive post of updates: Adventures of Quarantine Gardening
It has not been mentioned yet, so I am going to make a list. Items outside of soil in the yard, water from the hose, and ordered seeds and plants from stores; here is what I have been adding to most of the projects.
- Clonex Rooting Gel – A hormone for plant cuttings to tell/encourage the plants to grow roots
- Neem Oil – organic fungicide, miticide, insecticide
- Natural Beeswax – for sealing in spore plugs into the oak logs
- Mykos Granular Nutrient – for inoculating the roots for faster growth and improved nutrition
- Sand Soil – to mix with seeds to the seeds get decent space in between one another
- Miracle-Gro Garden Soil Mix – for the sweet corn to see if can get a better sprouting chance
What’s was on the agenda?! Glad you asked…
This past Friday, I picked up a couple of oak tree logs and cedar sawdust/chips from a local OKC Sawmill for the mushroom growing projects; still waiting on my spore plugs to come in. I am attempting to grow mycelium from dried porcini mushrooms that I have, but that project is iffy at the moment. I think I became too hasty and didn’t let them set long enough in the right environment. May need to restart, but I’ll give it another week to assess.
My BFF gave me an apricot tree to plant! She (the tree) is in the ground and her name is “Maple,” named by my daughter. I also moved the cucumber (Larry) plant and the Jalapeno plant (Jose) to the raised bed area. They can get more sun here and grow big and strong!
Yesterday, my dad came over and helped me in the yard. We cut down a couple of trees and trimmed back several branches so my garden can get more sun. It looks great! Just need to clean up the brush now. He also helped me dig up some old clothesline posts that were unused. More gardening space!
My Shiitake Mushroom spore plugs came in today from Rose Farms in West Virginia!! YAY!